Friday, October 27, 2006

German Fashion

Today I was idling around Hamburg's main shopping area - around the city hall. Firstly on campus I'd already noticed how seriously the women were taking the military jackets and especially the tapered jeans tucked into the boots look. Every second woman I encountered was sporting the look. Another thing I noticed was the "eina-klein" minis over either leggings or stockings with the boots that come about midway up their calves. Although I know the looks won't work for me (with my thighs I shouldn't be wearing tapered pants and it's just too cold for me to be sporting a mini-skirt that's barely there) I have to admit that most of the women I saw wearing the look, looked great!

What I covet are the coats. I was practically salivating over the lovely coats on display at all the shops. Now my coat history looks like this: the first time I came overseas (to Germany) I brought a jacket that was hopelessly inadequate. Luckily my then "mother-in-law" bought me super-thick and practical coat, which got spirited away by some guy I had a fling with. The second time I came over (to London) with my best friend Tessa's lovely coat. As soon as I could afford it I bought a second-hand coat at Camden and gave Tessa's lovely coat back minus a couple of buttons. The Camden coat - a black one with a furry collar - will be now be given/sold to some second-hand shop and I will finally buy me a brand new one - money is no obstacle since I'm worht it and a good,classic coat can last a long time - and where else will I wear it than in Europe when it's winter?

Parka jackets are huge this season too, so maybe I'll get me one of those in addition to the coat. The boots here are also lovely: all fur-line and rubber-soled. I've already tried on a pair that I'm quite sure I'll be getting as soon as I can afford to! Shopping here is going to be such bliss, especially since I'm here for the after Christmas sales!

Good news for today: my temporary student and travel cards have arrived five days before they supposed to. This alleviates the cash flow problem a little since I no longer have to pay for public transport. Now the money from the Augstein Foundation must just be deposited into my newly opened bank account and then all will be well. Although really I still can't complain!

Keep well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey abs. sounds like ure havin a blast. i was also quite taken with the european fashion when i was over there. was also at the end of the year and i practically salivated over this one guy's full length white leather coat before the matrix movies kinda spoiled it for me.
one thing i havn't been able to grasp tho, is this whole fur lined boots thing. i mean, why appear in public in what resembles a kitten or just-of-age sheep tucked cosily around your footsies?
i can see the potential practicality of it in sub-zero europe, but stellenbosch went through that phase last year and just this week i saw another (otherwise) well groomed fashionista sporting a black pair with a tartan mini - in what must've been the hottest bloody day of the south african summer.
i guess some interpret the old adage of suffering for beauty a little too literally.
**

3:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Abigail
Die foto's lyk fab. Hoop jy geniet dit sommer verskriklik baie. Ek skryf later weer!
tata
Wyno

11:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home