Friday, December 08, 2006

My week in retrospects

After that mega-post on Sunday, I have been rather quiet,I know. Well, today I find myself just outside Düsseldorf at my good friends, Alex & Nenske's place! The weather is rather crappy (incessant rain), so (in true Capetonian fashion) I'm loathe to go out and explore Düsseldorf by foot, but we'll see if it clears up later and then decide.

Now back to my week. On Monday I was at the theatre with Peter again. We watched A Midsummer Night's Dream at what is currently considered "the best theatre in Germany" - the Thalia theatre. The play itself was rather entertaining although it wasn't Shakpespeare as I expected it to be. There was a lot of slapstick moments, which took me completely by surprise and at one stage Puck shot himself, but the people in the audience really seemed to enjoy themselves, so I guess the piece was not only translated into German, but also modified for the German audience. So overall it was a rather pleasant experience.

On Tuesday I behaved like a proper student because instead of finishing a presentation for the next day, I went drinking with a friend. Frank, as I explained before, is Peter's ex boyfriend's current boyfriend and a complete gas! Between us we finished 3 bottles of wine and I just made the last train (at 1am) back to my place. Of course I was completely incapable of working on the presentation in the state I was in, so I set my alarm for 6:30 and drank a lot of water so that I was not too hung over the next morning. The next morning I woke up without a trace of a hangover, finished the presentation and even though I looked like something the dog dragged in, I made it to my class on time and did quite OK with the presentation. The rest of the day dragged on like a bad dream because although I was chipper in the morning by lunch time it had become clear that I had had a night of heavy drinking. I sat through a two hour (public, i.e. not compulsory) lecture the evening and nearly fell asleep, quite literally. Went to bed nice and early and even heard my phone ringing twice at heaven knows what hour, but I it couldn't interrupt my lovely sleepy!

Thursday I got up around my usual time: 10:00. Leisurely packed my things and my way to the Hauptbahnhof (Hamburg's main train station) to catch the 14:46 train to Düsseldorf. Alex met me at the station and we walked to the city centre to grab something to eat before moving on to Krefeld, where Alex and Nenske live.

So there you have it, my doen-en-late for this past week in a nutshell.
Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home