Monday, October 30, 2006

Not so happy camper

So as the title of this blog indicates I'm not as chipper as I was in the previous couple of posts. I'm just getting tired of living the life of a pauper! My cash flow problem just doesn't wanna go away despite my most valiant efforts to banish it. All my anger is actually directed at the Augstein Foundation, who for months now knew we (Bryan and myself) were coming, but somehow didn't make the arrangements for our stipends to be paid to us. Now we have to try and survive on rands that have to be converted to euros and unlike myself Bryan has to bum money from his folks.

I mean honestly on Wednesday it's a month since we were supposed to have been in Hamburg. How do they think we survive without that the stipend. What if we were from a dirt poor country where we/our parents didn't earn enough to bail us out? And now the real expenses are streaming in. We have to make copies of the literature we're supposed to read. All the copy shops are private enterprises and one can only buy copies in bundles of 500 or more, which cost anything from €18 to €25. Luckily Bryan and I can split the cost between us, but €12 is a lot of money normally, but it's even more ridiculous when you don't actually have the money! The rent for our accommodation has also not been paid, which means we are 1 month in arrears. I'm going to be mighty upset if the people in charge here are going to come a-knocking on my door asking for money. There's nowhere for us to vent our frustration b/c our contact at the university is not in any way affiliated with the organisation who's paying for us to be here. She's merely the co-ordinator of the Erasmus Mundus Programme and is doing our admin in addition to her obligations to the university, which includes lecturing.

On the bright side...it's Elena (the classy Russian's) birthday. She coyly maintains she's turning 18. This gives me the opportunity to use the Proudly South African gifts/trinkets I purchased at Green Market Square. I bought a whole lot of those keyrings made of beads and some beady bracelets as well, just in case I had to give gifts to people I don't really know.

Bryan is also trying to convince me to attend the Johnny Clegg concert next week. My argument is that I won't go see Johnny in SA, so why go see him in Hamburg? It's not that I don't like his music, it's just that I won't pay to see him! Who agrees with me?

I'm off to celebrate Elena's b'day.
Keep well.

P.S. Thanks for all the comments. It's good to know my efforts are appreciated. Tessa, are you **?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ai Abi!
Believe me, i know exactly what you are talking about. Last year, about two months into being there ( after it had been agreed beforehand) I was supposed to get an on-campus job in the US. Only when I got there, it was all uphill because I needed a social security number and Lord knows what else. On top of that, the INternational Office in the US treated me like I was the plague most times I came to ask about the application. Of course, I wrote the chancellor a not-so-nice letter about his inefficient and unfriendly staff upon my departure. A loooooong exchange of e-mails followed.I completely understand, and it's so f* unfair. I know...I know exactly what you are going through.Because I also had to buy textbooks for the five subjects I took in the US. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you on this side,okay? Anything for Abs ( and Bryan..doesn't he have a blog?!)On a brighter note, I had my 107-page thesis printed and bound this morning.Please hold thumbs that all goes well with that. I am thinking of you, and wish you only the best...oh and about Johnny Clegg? NOT if I have to pay for it, and Im already low on funds. nee dankie.LOTS of SUID-AFRIKAANSE GROETE. ( hehe, can concur on the greenmarket square trinkets, too...Chris's grandma still loves me because of a fridge magnet!)
Flo

6:07 AM

 
Blogger sugawena said...

Thanks for the offer of help, Flo, but I'm sorted out (read latest post). Witnessed the doodstrekke of Bryan's thesis on this side. He only found out yesterday that his abstract had to be in Afrikaans as well. Of course my help was enlisted and I was very thankful for the nagkantoor experience and the fact that I emailed the Pharos Online URL to myself:) Holding thumbs that you pass with flying colours. Am very proud that at least one of us handed her thesis in on time;-)
Lotsa love
Sugawena

P.S. Bryan's on MySpace.com/bryansilke if you're interested.

11:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home