Sunday, November 05, 2006

Is there a doctor in the House?

I've got a new obsession or should I say I have a new television programme I'm obsessively watching? The latter is probably true since the good doctor cannot be an obsession since he doesn't really exist.

What am I talking about? Well, an American series entitled House, which Bryan got me hooked on...bad Bryan. I could very well waste my time doing other things than be glued to my computer screen watching episode after episode of this hospital drama. Now I've always been a sucker for a hospital drama. Chicago Hope, St. Elsewhere (can anyone still remember that?) and ER, name them and I've watched them at some time in my life.

House is different and it's all because of the central character dr. Gregory House. He's an ill-tempered, middle-aged, scraggly crank of man with a limp, but I think he's the hottest thing since chocolate cake. Of course he's an ingeniously smart physician, who together with his team solves a seemingly unsolvable medical condition every time, but what comes out of that man's mouth is just so deliciously un-PC and inappropriate. The series is so well written and the deadpan deliverance by Hugh Laurie, an English actor called in to do the work of an American doctor, priceless. Of course, they had to get in an Englishman for the role since I cannot think of an American actor who could do justice to the character. The series has been running in the States since 2004, so I've got a lot of catching up to do, but I relish the thought since I've already watched the whole of the first season in one weekend, in which I manage to do all that I did yesterday as well as finish an assignment today.
I could give you a sample of some of the House-ism, but they wouldn't be as enjoyable because one first has to hear them from the proverbial house's mouth. I'll stop the gushing right here and proceed to watch yet another couple of episodes before I go sleep tonight.

Sorry for not making good on my promise to post pictures today, but I got sidetracked :)

Till next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home