Monday, August 06, 2007

So, I hit the big 3-0 a couple of weeks ago, but we only really celebrated this fact on Sunday, when I and a couple of friends had brunch at the Mount Nelson. For those of you who don't know, the Nellie (as we Capetonians fondly refer to it) is an institution and always makes into the "Top Ten Hotels in the World" list and thus I thought it would be a perfect setting for me to celebrate my entering a new decade. Also I didn't feel like organising a huge party, so brunch at the Nellie was perfect because I only had to find out how many people were coming and make the booking. For many including myself it would be the first time at the prestigious Mount Nelson.

It being winter I have to admit to being a little apprehensive about the weather. However, the weather gods smiled on me and I got a lovely day - at least 24 degrees and lots of sunshine. Since it would be my first time at the Mount Nelson, choosing the right outfit was of the utmost important. I was going for smart casual with an emphasis on casual. I'd decided that my newly acquired leopard print shoes had to make their debut and I would dress down my (rather formal) heel with a black velvet pants. Choosing the top was a bit more tricky as my wardrobe leans towards a more casual look. However, I unearthed a lovely cream top, which I hadn't worn before and could dress up with some accessories and straight hair (instead of my normal wavy look) and voila - I had the perfect outfit - casual, but stylish, something that I felt reflected my age more than the jeans and sneakers, that I wear every day.

The food was fabulous. I had cheese and bread (with my champagne), eggs benedict, salads, stir fry, and a selection of desserts - it was a buffet brunch, so one could really pig out;-) Then came the surprise chocolate birthday cake. Now my mother makes a lovely chocolate cake, but this one was a white chocolate mousse cake with milk chocolate on the outside. I was really chuffed with this surprise, as you can imagine.

I feel rather fortunate to have been able to celebrate my 30th birthday in such style - surrounded with such good friends and people.

Ciao for now.

P.S. Scroll down for more pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home