Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The strangest dream

This morning just before waking up I had one of my weirdest dreams. I dreamt that I was back at Die Burger (DB) out on a story about a family, where two young children (siblings) died within a week of each other. I met a lot of the reporting regulars and everyone asked me where I'd been since they hadn't seen me out on a story for so long. I told them that I was actually studying in Germany and that I was just there to help out at DB over the weekend. However, as I was saying this I started doubting whether my stay in Germany wasn't a dream and whether I had finally woken up to the reality of still being at DB - eek! Yes, this is when this dream turned into a nightmare. As the dream proceeded, I found myself in the nagkantoor and even as I was telling people, who were surprised to see me there, that I was only there temporarily, I felt as if I was lying. You see, what added even more realism to the dream was a book, I'd recently read, called Straw Dogs. It's all about how misguided we humans are in thinking we are different to all the other animals of this world. In this book the author, John Gray, quotes Chuang-Tzu, a Taoist philosopher-poet, who saw human-life as a mere dream. He even tells how he once dreamt of being a butterfly and how upon waking up he didn't know whether he was a human being dreaming of being a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming he was a human being. Now I would say I'd had a similar experience, but I'm very happy with the realisation that my life in Germany is not a dream (phew!). Most of you reading this blog can attest to this because I'm not in SA with you (double phew!).

The bad news is that my blog won't be as regularly updated over the next couple of days. I have to put my noise to the grindstone and churn out a two presentations (for Monday) and 1 written assignment. I have to do a lot of reading for these assignments, so there won't be time for blogging. However, as soon as I'm done with the assignments (which I hope is soon) I'll start posting regularly again. I would love to share my musings on studies in a foreign country, but that would have to wait until next time.

Catch you on the flipside.

P.S. Flo, I know you're already well on you way to America with a song in your heart. Girlfriend enjoy it. You deserve it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home