Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Ode to German bureaucracy

This week my loathing of the bureaucratic system, through which my affairs have to proceed, increased tenfold. Yesterday I got served with a second warning for rent that was two months in arrears.

I was completely mortified because never in my life had I ever been given a first (never mind a 2nd) warning - not even on traffic fines. I couldn't believe the embarassment I had to suffer because of someone else's incompetence! What made the situation even worse that I did not have the vocabulary to give this person a piece of my mind and I had to be content with sending her a very polite email informing her of my dilemma - she doesn't work later than 15:00 and I only got the warning at about 14:30! The warning informed me that I had 5 working days to pay the money (in cash - cause a transfer is no longer good enough) otherwise my lease will be cancelled with immediate effect and I'd be literally left out in the cold...bitter pill.

I phoned her today to find out what was going on because she didn't deem it necessary to answer my email and put me out of my misery. What struck me as a little bit strange was the fact that Bryan wasn't served with a warning although all our affairs are handled by one person. Any way, according to her she deposited the money for rent on 2 November, but it seems as if the money got lost somewhere in the system. What's the use of the system if money can get lost like that???? Any way, she had informed the head of student accommodation and I shouldn't worry since everything will be sorted...that was said the last time as well. So here I sit quite powerless and not in any way sure whether I'll have to vacate my room by the end of the week.

Last week I was also threatened with eviction (I would be given a month's notice - at least) if I didn't produce a valid permanent student card. I had shown them the temporary one, but the permanent one only arrived after one had paid the €190 registration fee. Unlike Bryan I wasn't dependent on the university appointed person (same woman as above) to pay this money since I had the cash. Unfortunately, I was still naive (not realising how long it would take for our stipends to be paid in - it's still not paid in) and thought since my temporary student card was valid until 24 November, it would be enough time for my money to paid (rightly) from my stipend. I was advised to not wait for the university and paid the money myself albeit a little late. Luckily this one I resolved myself by emailing the head of student accommodation and explaining my situation. We got an extension until Monday, by which time my student card had luckily arrived.

And I thought the admin at Stellenbosch University was bad. It's a breeze compared to the admin in this so-called first world country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home